top of page
Village sign logo.png

FIRE DEPARTMENT

Fire Chief Ketzell A III.jpg
Allan Ketzel III

Fire Chief

Asst Fire Chief Ketzell A II.jpg
Allan Ketzel II

Assistant Fire Chief

Anderson D.jpg
David Anderson

Firefighter

Bennett A.jpg
Austin Bennett

Firefighter

Bennett B.jpg
Brent Bennett

Firefighter

Bennett C.jpg
Cordell Bennett

Firefighter

Bennett J.jpg
Jeff Bennett

Firefighter

Bennett T.jpg
Tracey Bennett

Firefighter

Conaway N.jpg
Nathan Conaway

Firefighter

Gacek D.jpg
Donna Gacek

Firefighter

Harrison C.jpg
Caroline Harrison

Firefighter

Husarik M.jpg
Marvin Husarik

Firefighter

Koval S.jpg
Steve Koval

Firefighter

Martin D.jpg
David Martin

Firefighter

Mudrick T.jpg
Tyler Mudrick

Firefighter

Myers L.jpg
Lawrence W. Myers Jr.

Firefighter

Myers T.jpg
Tre' Myers

Firefighter

Roberts R.jpg
Rob Roberts

Firefighter

Sigon W.jpg
William Sigon II

Firefighter

Taylor B.jpg
Ben Taylor

Firefighter

White A.jpg
Amber Berry

Firefighter

Zurek A.jpg
Aaron Zurek

Firefighter

HISTORY

Village sign logo.png

By: Mathew C. Thomas

The Brookside Volunteer Fire Department is believed to have been chartered in 1919 and actually organized in 1921 or 1922 after a dwelling fire at the Dr. Hendrick residence at 857 National Road.  According to the village minutes of February 2, 1920, a bid was accepted from the Supthen Fire Engine Company for a Ford Extension Combination Hose & Pump for $2,250.  Also proposed was the purchase of 550 feet of fire hose at 90 cents per foot, two nozzles, one Siamese, four spanner wrenches, and one clog gasket at a cost of $495.

​

Additional minutes of July 11, 1921, show that a petition was presented to council to form a volunteer fire department.  At a special meeting of council held July 25, 1921, the following officers were sworn in:

​

 Fire Chief:  Merle T. Ochsenbein

First Assistant Fire Chief:  Fred O. DeVault

Second Assistant Fire Chief:  Robert Wylie

Nozzle Men:  George Coffman

                          Morris Barlow

                        Fred Elslager

Plug Men:  William Brown

                           Elwin Coffman

                                               

Service began with 22 charter members of the department in a building that was nothing more than a lean-to attached to a meat market located at 14 Overbrook Drive.  This building at the corner of Overbrook and Driggs Lane later housed the village offices.

In 1927 members solicited funds and canvassed nearby districts to purchase a replacement fire truck.  They accumulated $2,200 through these fundraising activities and passed a resolution on April 12, 1927, to buy a 500-gallon Boyer combination Pumper & Chemical Fire Engine and hose for $3,500.

​

On one of the new trucks’ first fire runs, which was to St. Clairsville on April 3, 1928, two Brookside Firemen, Cecil Lillie and Paul Trouten were killed while battling a blaze.  They were caught when a wall collapsed on them as they fought the fire.

In 1928, plans were formulated to accumulate funds for a new fire station.  A lady’s auxiliary was formed and held dinners, parties, and lawn fetes as it worked alone with the men to raise money for a new building.  Also, since many of the fires in Barton, Ohio were fought by the Brookside firemen, the people of Barton offered assistance by holding Saturday night dances in the Miner’s Hall.  These dances continued almost three years.

​

After accumulating $2,500 in the building fund, the firemen began looking for a site on which to build.  The late Grover Cleveland Travis was a county engineer at that time and he suggested building under the Civil Workers Administration.  Under the CWA rules however, the Brookside Village Council had to sponsor such a plan.  A lot at 857 National Road was purchased for $1,200 and the bricks were donated to the firemen by Lorain Coal & Dock Company through the efforts of Charlie Johnson, Superintendent.  By arrangement with council, the building was erected in 1934 with the understanding that the firemen would have exclusive use of the upstairs as their clubroom and the firetruck would be housed downstairs.  The rest of the building would be free for use by council as it saw fit.

​

In 1941, an American LaFrance fire truck was purchased to replace the Boyer truck which had been in use.  The cost of this vehicle was $7,500.  However, in 1945 this American LaFrance Fire Engine was damaged in a wreck and had to be replaced.  On December 22, 1945 the department received delivery of the new engine from American LaFrance.  This vehicle was used until 1967 at which time a 1966 Ford Pumper was purchased for $19,000 and is still in use today.

​

On June 15, 1950, the department incorporated under the name of Brookside Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.  Trustees of the corporation were Charles Gretzinger, Tom Haskins, and James Crisswell.  The incorporators were James Gibbs, Henry McCue, and Arnold Schell.

Also, on, or around 1950, the department started and emergency squad with a 1950 GMC panel truck.  This vehicle was used until 1964 when a 1964 International Travel-all was purchased to replace it.  In 1976, a Ford/Braun Emergency Car was purchased to replace the International.  This 1976 Ford was purchased as a demonstrator and the International was maintained as a backup until 1986.  In the fall of 1986, the International was sold for $700 and replaced with a 1979 Chevrolet Suburban which was used for fire personnel and equipment.

​

During the 1990’s several emergency vehicles were replaced for the department.  In 1994 a 4 mil Fire Levy was placed on the ballot for approval from the residents.  The Fire Levy won by a majority of votes.  In April of 1995 the department received a 1995 Spartan Darley Fire Engine to replace the 1966 Seagrave.  Also in October of 1995 the department took delivery of a 1995 McCoy Miller ALS Emergency Squad to replace to 1976 Braun. During the year of 1995, due to a large group of members in the Paramedic Class at Belmont College the department transitioned from Basic Life Support Ambulance to a Advanced Life Support Ambulance.  The department received a Physio Lifepack 10 Heart Monitor as a donation from East Ohio Regional Hospital and Ohio Valley Medical Center.  In 1998 the department replaced the 1979 Chevrolet Suburban with a 1995 Chevrolet Suburban.

​

The department was able to purchase with help from grants a 2008 John Deere Gator to be used working events around the Village of Brookside and at Perkins Field.  In 2013 we purchased a 2013 Chevrolet 1 ton Pickup to be used as a Brush Truck and in 2018 we were awarded a Ohio Department of Natural Resources Grant for a new 2018 John Deere Gator.

​

The following is a list of Fire Chiefs which of the Brookside Volunteer Fire Department since its inception:

 

Merle T. Ochsenbein:  1921 - 1928

Harvey Miller:  1928 – 1931

James Wiley:  1932 – 1935

Elwood Burke:  1936  - 1947

Wallace Morris:  1948

 Vince Carpenter:  1949 - 1953

 Elwood Burke:  1954 – 1955

 Arnold Schell:  1956 – 1969

 Albert Mazoch:  1969 – 1980

 Allan G. Ketzell II:  1980 – 1987

 David H. Martin:  1987 – 2004

 Allan G. Ketzell III:  2004 - Present

News Register Article

bottom of page